Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bugs and fevers...

There is a nasty stomach bug going around and it's taking out my family! Bryan's mom and gramma are both recovering from having it this weekend. Bryan caught it last night and is still feeling rather gross. Luckily Titus and I don't have it...yet. I'm not holding my breath though I'm assuming I will get it soon and this is not a bug you want to "share" with anyone, especially when there is only one bathroom! Praying the bug stops with Bryan and doesn't visit our house again!

Fevers are crazy things! Titus has had a "low-grade" fever (100.1-3 and 99.9) since his doctor appointment yesterday morning. He got his shots yesterday and usually he doesn't have any reactions other than muscle soreness but Tylenol takes care of that nicely. BUT yesterday Ti turned 6 months- the magic number for the Flu vaccine. He got it and has had a fever since. Thankfully it seems to be better now. (I will get into the whole vaccine debacle in a minute.) I am so grateful for how Ti handles not feeling well! He was extra clingy yesterday and was fussier than usual, but it wasn't too bad! And, as a side-note, I think it's interesting how Titus' cheeks don't get warm with a fever- I have been with a lot of kids that that was the case. It's actually kind of hard to determine whether or not he has one by touch...thank goodness for thermometers!

Okay the vaccine debacle- I was planning on no vaccines for the 1st year and then only doing the ones required for school attendance. But, Bryan didn't see anything wrong with the vaccines- and there really isn't anything wrong with them.  (Not doing them was just my preference.) Let me tell you- this issue was the HARDEST thing to be submissive and bless my husband in. I struggled with being angry because he wasn't going with what I wanted. So at 2 months Ti got his shots and it wasn't horrible- he cried like crazy and was a little sore later in the day but other than that nothing happened. Same with his 4 month appointment. Then yesterday was his 6 month appointment and Ti was supposed to get the last round of the vaccines that he was getting. I knew the Flu shot would be mentioned and since I would never get one I figured why would I give one to Ti? Well then started the inner battle back and forth of my motives for not doing that specific shot. My thoughts- NO b/c the flu isn't that horrible if you stay hydrated (yes, I know it sucks); the most dangerous time for a baby is *before* they turn 6 months; I've heard of some getting the flu from the shot (or the symptoms of the flu w/o actually having the flu)- YES b/c I'm a mommy and my mindset is soo different now! (I don't wanna do anything to risk his well-being.) So- we ended at we might as well let him have the shot...which I now regret! I wasn't that sold on the vaccine in the first place and Ti has had this stupid fever. Yes, I know a fever means that the body is fighting the weakened virus and he is creating antibodies- all good stuff. BUT I struggle with the fact that my kid felt like crap because of a decision I made that I'm not entirely sure was for his best. The flu shot has a second does that he is supposed to get in a month...not sure that's going to happen.

Sorry for the crazy rant that might not make sense :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment