Friday, November 16, 2012

Hippy Healthcare

Titus has had some health issues lately. We've gone to a pediatric urgent care once and the emergency room as well for some breathing issues. That's something I'm not going to mess around with. Go ahead give him whatever he needs to make him be able to breathe!

However!

At our last follow up appointment I was told that Titus has an ear infection (mostly likely the beginning of one). So his dr wanted to prescribe an antibiotic. Titus is allergic to ammoxicillin so he always gets put on weird antibiotics (most of which cause diarrhea and therefore and insane diaper rash). Now Titus had just been on an antibiotic about 5ish weeks ago for a sinus and ear infection. I didn't want him to be on another one so soon.

So I asked, " Can we wait on the antibiotic and just see what happens?" Titus hasn't been complaining of ear pain. He hasn't had a fever. I wanted to make sure he *really needed* the antibiotic.

The doctor was surprised at my request but didn't seem perplexed. She wanted to schedule another follow up to check on Titus's breathing so we made that appointment a week later. We will know whether or not he needs something  for the ear infection by then.

Then I said my next thought. "I think I will try breast milk drops."

Haha! Her face!!! Now I'm too lazy to do a ton of research to provide link as to why this is a good option. However, it has been well proven that breast milk has a ton of amazing uses other than nourishment. It has a massive amount of antibodies and other good things in it.

Anyway the dr's face. She was shocked and didn't look like she agreed. At all. Thankfully she didn't say what she was thinking.

I've done it with Rya when she started messing with her ears. I put a couple drops in a few times a day for a few days and the ear grabbing stopped and hasn't come back.

So I'm trying it with Titus. His appointment was Wednesday and I still have yet to see him in any sort of discomfort from this infection. I will keep doing the breast milk drops until his follow up appointment on Tuesday. If he still has evidence of an ear infection but no discomfort, I will continue to wait and see what happens.

I may also try some warmed EVO drops as I've heard those are really good too.

Anyone else have some hippy, I mean alternative, health care things they do for ear infections or in general?

2 comments:

  1. lol! I can just imagine her face. As for suggestions...maybe colloidal silver? I know it fixes topical eye issues and cuts down on cold/infection time if you swallow it, but I'm not sure about ears. There are tons of essential oils you could try too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did breast milk drops for about 3-4 days and the redness in his ear was gone at the 1 week follow up appt. He still had fluid in his ear but the doctor (different dr of course!) didn't see anything wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete