Friday, April 8, 2011

Trials: Friend or Foe?

For most people if asked this question- "Are trials good or bad?" they would immediately say, "Bad!". That would honestly be my first thought as well. Who wants trials in their life? Isn't the goal to have a smooth life? Most days I could easily go without any trials. I wouldn't miss them!

While reading my Bible this morning, I found a couple verses that taught me that trails are a good thing! What?!?! That definitely goes against anything that I think or feel when dealing with a trial. But, it's true. According to God's Word, trials are good and we should "count it all joy" when we "meet trials of various kinds" (James 1:2-4 ESV).  Here are the full verses:

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."    James 1:2-4 (ESV)

"Count it all joy"...yeah, that does not sound like something I want to do! When I'm having a hard day or facing a challenge, I don't want to be joyful! I want to pout and have a bad attitude and for people to feel bad for me. But, that is my human, sinful response to tests or trials that God, in His sovereign grace, may allow me to go through. God doesn't call me to live by my emotions, but to live by faith. Faith in Him! He knows what He's doing. He's in control and will "work all things together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28 ESV). Side-note: notice that in Romans it says God will work things together for good according to HIS purpose! Not mine, my husband's, or my neighbor's. His. His purpose and His alone. This reminds me of a verse in Isaiah that says, " For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9 ESV). 

I should be looking at trials and tests as a chance to grow in steadfastness. Now, when I first read these verses I wasn't sure what steadfastness was. I knew it was good and a character quality that God wanted in my life, but I didn't know how to define it. Praise God for dictionaries!  :o) According to dictionary.reference.com steadfastness means- "fixed in direction; steadily directed/ firm in purpose, resolutionfaith, attachment, etc., as person/ unwavering, as resolution, faith, adherence, etc./ firmly established, as an institution or a state of affairs./ firmly fixed in place or position."  Being steadfast means to be firm or, my favorite, unwavering. God wants us to grow in faith so we can be firm and unwavering in what we believe and what we know is true! 

Trials and tests are supposed to be teaching us to be steadfast in our faith in God. A chance to grow should be viewed as a blessing and greeted with joy. I know. Looking at tests and trials with joy and excitement at the chance to grow seems impossible but Jesus said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26 ESV). I can't change my view of trials on my own. I need God to work in my heart and renew my mind to have the correct perspective. I want to grow in my faith. I want to be described as steadfast. It won't happen overnight.

 But with God, it will happen. :o) 



No comments:

Post a Comment