Friday, March 11, 2011

Diaper Rash

I was told that Titus needed to have his antibiotic with food because that would help reduce the diarrhea that the medicine could cause. However, after one dose the diarrhea started.

I kept up on Titus' fluids to replace any he might lose. I let him have diluted juice to maybe entice him to drink more. (He didn't prefer the juice over water so I'm happy about that). Then from the diarrhea Titus developed a diaper rash. It first started as a little bit of redness but within a couple diaper changes it was a lot of redness and a crying baby. I started using Desitin and I used disposable diapers so moisture wouldn't be sitting on his irritated skin, but nothing was helping. The poor kid could barely sit and if you touched his bottom at all he would cry.

Yesterday my mom and I googled home remedies and found a bunch of interesting stuff. I LOVE goodle! I tried an apple cider vinegar bath (about 2 cups of ACV in bath water). I thought it would sting but it didn't :o). Then we also found that you can put a couple drops of Tea Tree Oil in a spray bottle and spray it on your baby and let it dry. Then there is just letting your baby go naked and airing out. I had Titus take a nap naked yesterday- it was so cute to see his little hiney sticking up! I also used a cloth diaper yesterday, which didn't make a difference with the redness. I started putting Vasoline on the rash. It doesn't help heal the rash but it coats it and protects it from moisture. I've noticed with using it that the diaper changes are not nearly as traumatic. Ti's butt is still super red and he still has diarrhea so I'm thinking that we have quite a few more days of diaper rash ahead of us meaning this: lots of naked time, diaper experiments, and definitely laundry. And, hopefully a lot less tears!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment